That is as sophisticated as I can explain the first day of this year’s NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament. The rest of the tournament has a lot to live up to after one of the wildest days in College Basketball history.
- There were three games that went to overtime, one of them was double overtime (BYU-Florida).
- 7 of the 16 games had the lower seed win (5 double digit seeds)
- The Big East – that saw 8 teams make the tournament – was 1-3 (the three losses were upsets)
- 7 of the 16 games were decided by 3 or less points
- Of the 7, 3 were decided by 1 point
- Powerhouse Georgetown, predicted by many to get to the Elite 8 (not me), didn’t just lose to #14 Ohio, they got destroyed by 14 points
- Danero Thomas of Murray St. was calm and collected as he nailed a buzzer beater to send #4 Vanderbilt packing
- Villanova got all they can handle from Robert Morris in an overtime thriller
All of this great action, with all of these upsets and there was still some upset disappointment. Probably the most popular upset pick of the first round – #12 UTEP over #5 Butler – didn’t happen. UTEP took a six point lead into halftime, but Butler came out of halftime with a 22-4 run that proved too much for UTEP. Butler tied the first round record with 13 three pointers (10 after halftime).
I can not wait for the rest of this tournament!
What do you think was the best moment from day one action?