The non-waiver 2010 MLB trade deadline is finally here. Today will be the last day for teams to make a move to boost them into the playoffs or to maintain their playoff pace. Although, there is the still the waiver trade deadline, it is much more difficult to make a meaningful trade having to clear players on waivers.
With about 12 hours left until the trade deadline is officially here, it will be interesting to see what other moves will be made. The Yankees are rumored to be trading with Cleveland for Austin Kearns and with the Astros for Lance Berkman, both deals are expected to be finalized later today.
Here is a quick summary of the trades that have taken place over the last week of the trade deadline:
Friday, July 30:
- Arizona Diamondbacks traded RHP Edwin Jackson to Chicago White Sox for RHP Dan Hudson and David Holmberg
- Washington Nationals traded RHP Matt Capps to Minnesota Twins for C Wilson Ramos and LHP Joe Testa
- Florida Marlins traded 3B Jorge Cantu to Texas Rangers for RHP Omar Poveda and RHP Evan Reed
- Atlanta Braves traded RF Mitch Jones to Pittsburgh Pirates for cash
Thursday, July 29:
- Houston Astros traded RHP Roy Oswalt to Philadelphia Phillies for LHP J.A. Happ, Anthony Gose and SS Jonathan Villar
- Baltimore Orioles traded 3B Miguel Tejada to San Diego Padres for RHP Wynn Pelzer
- Kansas City Royals traded LF Scott Podsednik to Los Angeles Dodgers for C Lucas May and RHP Elisaul Pimentel
Wednesday, July 28:
- Cleveland Indians traded 3B Jhonny Peralta to Detroit Tigers for LHP Giovany Soto
Tuesday, July 27:
- No trades
Monday, July 26:
- No trades
Sunday, July 25:
- Arizona Diamondbacks traded RHP Dan Haren to Los Angeles Angels for LHP Joe Saunders, LHP Patrick Corbin and RHP Rafael Rodriguez and a player to be named
I feel that the Angels, Rangers, White Sox, Twins and Phillies made very nice moves to help them over the last two months of the season.
- Haren will make an excellent addition to the Angels rotation to help them try to overcome the Rangers in the division. The Rangers will look to keep their first place lead by adding an extra bat to their line-up. Cantu will most likely play first base for the Rangers.
- The White Sox strengthen their rotation with the addition of Jackson. Danks, Floyd and Jackson will be a solid 1-2-3, and not to mention Buerhle did throw a perfect game last season.
- The Twins bolster their bullpen with Capps. Jon Rauch, who filled in nicely for the injured Joe Nathan, will move to the set-up role to create a solid 8-9 punch.
- The Phillies make a nice addition by adding Oswalt. Halladay, Hamels and Oswalt will be a deadly combination come playoff time.
Photo Credit: itlnet.net
- Five Players Most Likely to Be Traded by The Trade Deadline (bleacherreport.com)
- MLB Trades: Matt Capps to Twins, Roy Oswalt to Phillies and More (bleacherreport.com)
- MLB Trade Rumors Live Blog: Adam Dunn to Yankees, White Sox or Rays? (bleacherreport.com)